This Slow Roasted Picanha with Baby Potatoes is a perfect recipe for special occasions.
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Cook Time 40 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- Servings 8
- Author Jennifer Pallian
- 50 g smoked paprika
- 10 g chilli powder
- 10 g ground all-spice
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 10 g fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 60 g olive oil
- 5 g salt
- 1 kilo picanha beef
For baby potatoes
- 500 g baby potatoes, skin on, washed
- 5 g fresh rosemary
- 5 g fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 500 g semi-coarse salt
- 50 g butter
- 50 g olive oil
For the marinade
- Preheat oven to 120* C (248* F) Fan.
- Combine the smoked paprika, chili powder, all-spice, bouillon cube, thyme, olive oil and salt in a bowl.
- Add the picanha and rub with mixture to coat. Allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Place a nonstick pan or grill pan over low heat.
- Place the meat in the pan, fat side down and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Turn up heat and sear the meat on the rest of the sides for 1 minute.
- When ready, transfer the meat with fat side up, to a wire rack which is positioned in a pan.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and insert a thermometer (if you have one) in the thickest part of the meat. The temperature should read 56*C-58*C (132*F-136*F) for it to be cooked medium. If you want it more well done, roast for a few more minutes.
- When ready, remove from oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before thinly slicing.
For the baby potatoes
- Preheat oven to 170* C (338*F) Fan.
- Spread a layer of semi-coarse salt in a shallow baking pan.
- Spread the potatoes over the salt and roast for 20 minutes, depending on how large or small the potatoes are. They should be easily pierced with a knife.
- When ready, remove from oven and cut in half. Set them aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Place a nonstick pan over high heat. Spread the potatoes in the pan in one layer, cut side down.
- Add the olive oil, spices, thyme, and rosemary.
- Cook and mix 2-3 times carefully so that they don’t break up or become mashed together.
- When golden, remove from heat. Add the butter and mix to coat.
- Picanha is best served with freshly ground pepper, flower of salt, extra virgin olive oil, and baby potatoes.