This cut is one of the most favorites for the Argentinean people, easy and fast to cook, a big meal ready in only 1 hour.
My mother in law says that this is the “Rich cousin of the Picahna”, means that they are similar but this is tastier ☺. It means it has better marbling.
First of all, I will give some important tips to make it perfect: I recommend to use coarse salt instead of table salt, this helps the meat to make a better crust outside.
Another advice is that because of the shape of the cut the tip will cook faster, so keep this piece for the people who prefer it “well done”.
Ingredients (for 4-5 prople)
- Tri Tip…1 unit (around 1 kg)
- Olive oil… 2 tbs and a little more
- Coarse salt..a fistful
- Black pepper…a pinch
- Onions…2 units
- Red Pepper…1 or 2
- With a sharp knife cut the excess of fat from the surface (not too much given most of the flavor comes from it too).
- Heat 2 tbs of olive oil in a pan and seal the meat from the top, base, and sides (this helps to keep all the juices inside). Then place the meat in a tray for the oven and spread some more olive oil on the meat. Season with coarse salt and black pepper.
- Cut the onions in quarters and the red peppers in half. Place both around the meat in the try.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 200C around 40-50 minutes. The time depends on the way you like the meat.
- Serve this meal with mash potatoes or mashed carrots, vegetables cooked in the oven or French Fries. Enjoy!